Most Common Types of Homeowner's Insurance

Homeowners - 1 (HO-1) policy or Basic Policy, insures your home and contents against listed perils. Most insurers sell more comprehensive policies, such as the Homeowners-3, which includes these and other perils: Fire, Lightning and Smoke Damage, Windstorm and Hail, Glass Breakage, Vehicle or Aircraft Damage, Bodily Injury Liability, Damage to Property of Others, Personal Property (at Home), Personal Property (away), Burglary and Theft, Riot and Civil Commotion, Cost of Legal Defense, Explosion, Vandalism and Malicious Mischief, Medical Payments, Additional Living Expenses (If forced to live away from home temporarily).

Homeowners - 2 (HO-2) policy or Broad Form Policy, insures your home and contents against the perils in the HO-1 policy, plus other additional listed perils: Falling Objects, Water From Plumbing Systems, Electrical Damage to Appliances, Weight of Ice or Snow, Freezing of Plumbing Systems, Rupture of Water Heaters and Heating Systems.

Homeowners - 3 (HO-3) or Special Form Policy is the most widely used policy by homeowners. This policy covers your home for all risks of physical loss, except those that are specifically excluded, such as flood, earthquake, war, nuclear accident, etc. Check your policy for a complete listing of perils excluded. Coverage for loss of your home's contents is also covered for many of the same perils for which your home is covered.